Monday, May 6, 2013

No More Diapers

Hudson went his first full day with NO diapers today. It was cold turkey and it was a split, rash decision. He just hasn't been ready, but as of late I really do believe he is ready and he is starting preschool finally, officially in September. For real this time :) He will start full time school in March 2014 (right before his fourth birthday) because the baby will take his place in the nanny share, so we have decided to get him started early doing part times over my maternity leave. It is montessori, and he HAS to be potty trained and I do not want to start this right before this baby arrives.

So how did it go? Answer: pretty good actually. I am tired because I think I stressed out more than he did. The morning started with a diaper and I just took it off and told him-you do not have a diaper on, so if you need to go potty, tell me. Well, he wanted that diaper. I think to some extent he has created an emotional connection with the diapers, which is why we really can't go back now if we are going to succeed at this. I need to get him to create an emotional connection with his big boy underwear. We are putting him in overnight pull-ups at night. 

He only had one accident today, and stayed clean all through dinner out tonight and a shopping trip at target, as well as this morning for 3 hours before his nap. 

I have decided we are biting the bullet and somehow we are going to get this done. We may occasionally revert to pull-ups this week while he is busy doing fun birthday activities, like for his party when I don't want to worry about it-but we are going cold turkey. I think he is finally getting used to the idea that he does not have to have a diaper to feel secure. Hudson is so sensitive and loves the little things in life, like minnie mouse on his diaper :) With him, change is hard and you have to try to do it slowly and make it fun. But with this-I feel like we have to just do it or it won't ever happen. So...we did.

We took him to target and let him pick out some more fun big boy underwear because he just didn't seem to care about the others he already had and I wanted it to be cool and fun. He picked out cars underwear and when we got home, put on his mater underwear over his pull-up for bed. Such a cute boy. Small steps.

Wish us luck!!

No comments: