I am LOVING being a mother SO much. It has been my favorite three months of my 28 years. I have heard many people over the years talk about parenthood and what it means. We have all heard the "You don't understand until you have kids" phrase a million times. I have always hated this phrase and never intend to use it myself. I think it better to let each person discover what it means to have kids when they do, instead of somehow warning them about it. However, there are a few things that I have learned in these wonderful, busy and beautiful three months about being a mom that I would like to share. For those of you that know me, I am not a super emotional person, so this motherhood thing really must be big, huh?
The first one: You have never lived until you have seen your baby smile at you. I mean, really smile, like he knows you and loves you. Really, until you see this, you haven't lived. I didn't believe this until it happened. It is completely true.
The second: These babies are sensitive and wonderful and shaped by EVERY noise, movement, and piece of their environment. For instance, I yelled at Vinny for something and my poor baby was nearby. It scared him. He cried. I was reminded that I have to be careful of this precious angel. EVERYTHING I do affects him-even yelling at the dog for begging (yet again) at the fridge for more carrots.
The final: Cherish EVERY moment. EVERY moment. It will be literally the hardest thing that I have ever done leaving this baby on Thursday. I can't think about it, because it crushes my heart. As a parent-cherish EVERY moment...even the ones you think aren't great. They are only this tiny for a very short while. I am reminded daily. Three days left of maternity leave. Wow, what a journey this parenting thing has been already. What a gift, what a journey....

No comments:
Post a Comment